Animal hospital fire declared accidental

To help
For information on how to donate money to All-Animal Hospital, call (662) 844-4955.

TUPELO – Fire investigators have determined that faulty electrical wiring caused Tuesday’s fire at All-Animal Hospital.
Tupelo Fire Marshal Jason Cross said the fire, which started in the attic, was accidental. All 70 animals in the building were evacuated safely, and one employee was taken to the hospital, according to owner Dr. Sonya Bryan. The employee taken to the hospital Tuesday was treated for smoke inhalation and released shortly after. She was back working Wednesday.
Bryan said a good escape plan and help from surrounding business owners helped get all the animals to safety.
“When we saw the fire engines we went out to see what happened,” said Andy Dyson, manager of Pro Concert, two doors down from the vet’s office. “Then we saw the smoke and immediately went over to help. There were some dogs and cats in a holding area and we got those out. They didn’t seem to be in any danger of being burned by the fire, but it was very hot and we didn’t want them to suffer in the heat.”
Some of the animals were housed in Dyson’s store until they were able to be placed. He and others from Pro Concert also helped Bryan move some things out of the building.
Members of The Orchard church nearby also pitched in, carrying animals out to employees’ cars ao they could keep them cool with air conditioning.
“It was amazing to see so many people come together to help,” said church member Amanda Burden. “We had people carrying animals and putting them in cars and just helping any way they could. It was a very hectic situation, but everyone and every animal got out safely and that’s what’s important.”
Bryan said the help she’s gotten from the business community as well as the community has allowed a quick recovery. The phones at All-Animal Hospital are working and operations will be moved to a new location today.
“Our kennel was unharmed, so we’re still bathing, boarding and grooming,” said Bryan. “We’ll be ready to start taking calls and seeing patients today. We’ve just had so much help and support from everyone. It’s really helped to speed up the process of getting operations back going.”
Bryan said Tupelo Small Animal Hospital, Dilworth Small Animal Hospital, Tupelo Veterinary Hospital and the Tupelo Buffalo Park amp& Zoo housed some animals. She also said the Tupelo-Lee Humane Society were a huge help as well.
Because All-Animal Hospital treats animals at the Tupelo-Lee Humane Society, Bryan will be taking donations to continue those operations.
“This fire affected them as well and we don’t want them to have their services disturbed, so we will be taking donations to help them,” said Bryan.
Contact Danza Johnson at (662) 678-1583 or

Danza Johnson/NEMS Daily Journal

Click video to hear audio