By The Associated Press
OXFORD — A federal judge has revoked the bond of an Alabama man charged in the robberies of four north Mississippi banks.
The Daily Corinthian reports that U.S. District Judge Neal Biggers agreed this week with prosecutors’ argument that Brian Perry Jones remains a threat to the public. Biggers ordered Jones held without bond pending trial, which is set for March 4.
The 35-year-old Jones, of Toney, Ala., was previously released on a $10,000 bond last month after pleading not guilty to four counts of bank robbery by force or violence.
Jones is charged in four separate bank robberies beginning with the Aug. 16, 2012 robbery of the Renasant Bank branch on Constitution Drive in Iuka. He is also accused in the Nov. 16 robbery of the Renasant Bank on Market Street in Booneville along with two separate robberies on Sept. 21, 2012 and Nov. 19, 2012, of Renasant Bank branches in Tupelo.
He was arrested on Nov. 19 by deputies with the Tishomingo County Sheriff’s Department who spotted a vehicle matching the description of one used in the Tupelo robbery traveling on the Natchez Trace Parkway near the Mississippi/Alabama line.
Prosecutors said the $10,000 bond “is insufficient to protect the community and to guarantee his presence at future hearings.”
Jones’ attorney argued Jones has substantial ties to the region including a strong relationship with his wife and four children and has remained employed since his release.
Prosecutors said despite those ties the defendant has a history of committing other crimes while out on supervised release on a previous offense and he remains a danger to the community and a flight risk.