Burn victim recovering, suspect held without bond

By JB Clark/NEMS Daily Journal

TUPELO – A Baldwyn man charged with aggravated assault, arson and kidnapping is now being held without bond as he awaits a hearing.
Christopher Mink, 43, of Baldwyn, was scheduled to have a bond hearing on Sept. 28, but the hearing was continued until Oct. 17.
District Attorney Trent Kelly has asked that Mink’s bond be revoked, so he is being held without bond until that hearing. His bond was previously set at $1 million.
Cherie Clark, 40, also of Baldwyn, is being held on a $500,000 bond on charges of aggravated assault and kidnapping.
The two are charged in connection with the Sept. 14 kidnapping and aggravated assault of a south Mississippi woman whose name isn’t being released.
Authorities say the victim was bound, beaten and then transported to a rural dump in the Pratts community where she was doused in fuel and burned. The woman rolled out the flame and was able to make her way to a nearby home to call for help.
The victim was moved from the intensive care unit at an unnamed medical facility. Her stepmother said a nurse told her, “Her rate of recovery is nothing short of miraculous.”
Her stepmother said the victim is still being held in the hospital, recovering from serious burns and post-traumatic stress.
jb.clark@journalinc.com