CORINTH – The Corinth Area Convention and Visitors Bureau board has approved several new initiatives for the 2009-2010 fiscal year, which begins Oct. 1.
The board also approved the agency’s budget for the coming year, said Executive Director Kristy White.
“Despite the general economy, except for one month we’ve seen an average 2 percent growth over tax collections for the same time last year,” White said. “We also have a surplus with the city that we hope to put to work next year.”
The convention and visitors bureau is supported by a sales tax on prepared food and lodging. The 2 percent tax is split evenly between the bureau and the Crossroads Arena.
With the 2009-2010 program of work the CACVB plans new efforts for the coming year, including:
• Partner with Main Street Corinth and The Alliance Community Development Division to create an Unofficial Tour Guide Program to train local businesses about tourism offerings.
• Conduct Tour Guide Training Programs in partnership with the National Park Service to prepare residents to help with the increasing tour group market.
• Publish a quarterly e-newsletter.
• Develop new group tour itineraries for the Corinth area such as culinary, agricultural and folklore.
• Research the feasibility of creating a Corinth tour downloadable to visitors’ cell phones.
• Explore uses of technology to promote the area.
Contact Lena Mitchell at (662) 287-9822 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lena Mitchell/NEMS Daily Journal