By Lena Mitchell/NEMS Daily Journal
CORINTH – The Corinth Area Convention and Visitors Bureau awarded several grants during its regular monthly board meeting on Tuesday.
Pending requests as well as several recent requests received awards:
• Main Street Corinth for the Slugburger Festival: Awarded $5,000 of a $7,000 request, which includes advertising for the Slugburger Festival in July as well as support for the second year of Major League Eating’s Slugburger Eating Contest.
• Rienzi Heritage Committee for Rienzi Civil War Re-enactment, May 3-5: Awarded $1,000 of a $2,000 request, to help with advertising and promotion of the event, now in its third year.
• Easom Outreach Foundation for July 4-7 homecoming events: Awarded $1,000 of a $3,000 request, to help with advertising and promotion of a first-time event.
• Alcorn County Branch NAACP for Biannual Reunion/Homecoming, July 5-7: Awarded $3,500 of a $4,500 request, to help with advertising and promotion of a long-standing event. Amount awarded exceeds what was spent for the 2011 activity.
• Lighthouse Foundation for Basketball Tournament: Awarded $5,000 of a $7,500 request, to be paid in monthly installments of $1,000 through August, for a tournament expected to draw top high school basketball teams nationally. The group may return to request the $2,500 additional funding in September if the CVB has money available at the end of the fiscal year.
• Col. W.P. Rogers Camp of Sons of Confederate Veterans received a $500 grant award to print 5,000 flyers announcing the 2014 Civil War Relic and Militaria Show in preparation for distribution at upcoming conferences and relic shows.
• Crossroads Arena for Travis Tritt Concert, May 17: Awarded $17,300 in compliance with funding allocation set aside for the arena’s use in sponsoring arena productions.
The board also approved implementing immediately a new grant application form, which includes application instructions and a required evaluation report to be submitted after the event.
Forms are available as a link on the Corinth Area CVB website at www.corinth.net, on site at the tourism office, or by calling (662) 287-8300.