By Carlie Kollath/NEMS Daily Journal
VERONA – The E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation on Wednesday announced about $340,000 in grants to several nonprofits in the region.
Carpenter Co. dvision manager Al Servati said eight Northeast Mississippi organizations will receive $340,921 in grants. As of this week, the foundation has awarded more than $5.5 million in grants to Northeast Mississippi organizations since 1993.
The most recent recipients are:
• The Boys and Girls Club – $83,000 to buy two 15-passenger mini-buses.
• The Tupelo Symphony Orchestra – $60,000 to help fund the chamber orchestra performance in January 2011 and to complete season funding for the symphony’s music director-conductor for six orchestral concerts and four outreach concerts.
• Sanctuary Hospice House – $50,000 to help with 2011 operating expenses.
• Tupelo Public School District – $49,185 to fund a computer lab at the Thomas Street Elementary School, and $15,000 to Joyner Elementary School for the costs of multimedia interactive classrooms.
• Elvis Presley Birthplace – $40,000 to pay part of the costs of audio and video equipment for an 80-seat theater in a proposed new event center.
• Mississippi Department of Rehabilitation Services’ REACH Center – $24,000 to buy equipment and supplies to furnish an apartment for vision-impaired students.
• Women First Resource Center – $20,000 to help with the costs of rent, insurance and phones.
• Survival Inc. – $14,736 to help with the cost of providing services to adult and children survivors of homicide victims.
The grant money is given to nonprofit organizations in communities where the Carpenter Co. had manufacturing plants when E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter were alive.
Carpenter has had a polyurethane foam manufacturing facility in Verona since 1977.
Contact Carlie Kollath at (662) 678-1598 or email@example.com.
How grants are awarded
The E. Rhodes and Leona B. Foundation board meets twice yearly to consider grant requests. All grant requests must be submitted through the Carpenter Co. Tupelo division.
For a copy of grant guidelines, contact Al Servati at firstname.lastname@example.org.