By The Itawamba County Times
FULTON – The historic Cates-Gaither House in Itawamba County has been awarded $60,960 through the Mississippi Landmark Grant Program.
The grant money will be used to preserve the antebellum house in accordance with historic preservation guidelines.
Built in 1859 by Pleasant Cates, the Cates-Gaither House is an example of the raised planters’ cottage with Greek Revival details. Cates, who operated a cotton gin on the property, called the house “The Cedars” in reference to the line of cedar trees which continues to grow on the property. In 1901, William “Bill” Gaither acquired the property and furnishings from Cates and his descendants lived in the home until 2007.