Colleagues remember former Lee County educator



By Chris Kieffer

Daily Journal

SHANNON – Lynn Lindsey, who spent 24 years as Shannon High School’s principal and later led the Lee County School District, was remembered on Monday for his tireless work both as an educator and as a resident of the Brewer community.

Lindsey, 70, died on Friday after a sudden illness. His service was held Monday at Brewer United Methodist Church.

“The (Shannon High) gymnasium is named after him, but they could name the school after him,” said Mike Scott, who worked for Lindsey at Shannon and eventually followed him as both Shannon High principal and Lee County superintendent. “Mr. Lindsey, for 30 years, was Shannon High School.”

Lindsey’s 34-year career in the school district began in 1965, when he was hired at Shannon as a bus driver, math teacher, assistant football coach and girls basketball and track coach. He was the Lee County School District Superintendent from 1996 until he retired in 1999. Afterward, he remained “very supportive” of the school, said its current principal, Bill Rosenthal.

“Any time I ran into him, he always asked me how school was going,” Rosenthal said. “If we were looking for a teacher, he would help us to find someone, even though he was retired.”

Lee County School Board member Mary Edwards was serving on the board when Lindsey was superintendent. Her son also graduated from Shannon High during the early 1990s when Lindsey was principal.

“He wanted all children to have the same opportunity,” she said.

Lindsey was at school at 6 each morning when the buses left campus, Scott said, and stayed each afternoon making sure every child got home safely. He also got many of the school’s repairs done internally, doing much of the work himself.

“There is no telling how much money he saved the district through the years,” Scott said.

One time, Scott was redoing the school’s gym floor and using a buffer that had a malfunction. Lindsey began using it, not knowing the accelerator on the handle would get stuck, and suddenly “the buffer went forward and his feet went backwards,” Scott said.

“Most people that water ski know when you fall, you let go of the rope,” Scott continued. “He didn’t let go of the rope. He fought that thing into submission 10 minutes later and wiped up the whole floor.”

Click video to hear audio