Most charities are requesting financial donations rather than goods or clothing. This enables them to use the funds within the communities that are most affected
Be cautious about giving to charitable organizations you're not familiar with, says Eric Clark, secretary of state. If you're not sure if a company is legitimate, call his office at (601) 359-6367:
Hurricane relief fund
Governor Haley Barbour's Office and the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency have set up the Mississippi Hurricane Relief Fund Call Center for anyone wishing to donate money, goods, and services. For these contributions, please call (866) 230-8903 or local (601) 981-1247.
– American Red Cross: Call 1-800-435-7669 or (800) HELP-NOW.
– America's Second Harvest for hunger relief. Call (800) 344-8070.
– Catholic Charities. Call (800) 919-9338.
– Church World Services; Call (800) 297-1516.
– Network for Good: Proving easy access for donations to a number of charities including the Hurricane Society of America (for pets) and various chapters of the United Way in Florida and Louisiana.
– The Salvation Army
– Feed the Children: Call (800) 525-7575.
– Operation Blessing for hunger relief. Call (800) 730-2537.
– United Methodist Committee on Relief: Call (800) 554-8583.
Rebuild the Coast Fund
Contributions to the Rebuild the Coast Fund can be made:
– Online at www.RebuildTheCoastFund.org
– At any BancorpSouth branch
– By sending a check or money order to either of the following addresses: BancorpSouth, c/o Rebuild the Coast Fund Inc., P.O. Box 789, Tupelo, MS. 38802 or Rebuild the Coast Fund, P.O. Box 4500, Tupelo, MS. 38803. Make checks payable to: Rebuild the Coast Fund Inc.
Local Agency Support Numbers
Contact one of the following agencies for shelter or relief effort information:
Red Cross – 842-6101
Salvation Army – 842-9222
Touched By an Angel camp – 841-5833