Corinth eateries safe despite salmonella scare

By Lena Mitchell/NEMS Daily Journal

Clarification: The number of salmonella cases reported at Magnolia Regional Health Center late Thursday was 22. A story in Friday’s Daily Journal said the state health department had not reported any additional cases.

CORINTH – Corinth restaurants maintained brisk business Thursday, despite the state health department’s investigation of more than a dozen cases of salmonella poisoning identified at the local hospital.
The department did not have any additional cases reported Thursday.
One restaurant that received specific scrutiny by health department officials – Don Julio’s – was closed voluntarily on Thursday.
Health officials had found no evidence of any food contamination at the restaurant, and it was not ordered to close, a sign on the door said. However, concern about contamination of vegetables from a supplier and safety of customers prompted the move.
Don Julio’s and any other restaurant where confirmed salmonella victims say they ate will come under scrutiny, a state health department spokeswoman said Wednesday.
Despite the reports, no one should hesitate to continue supporting Corinth restaurants, said Kristy White, executive director of the Corinth Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Three of her own family members suffered confirmed cases over the weekend and reported their problem to the Alcorn County health department, White said. But members of the same family were out at a local restaurant again Wednesday night.
Salmonella, a food-borne bacterial infection, may be caused by contaminated beef, poultry, milk and eggs, but vegetables also may be contaminated.
Symptoms include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps, usually occurring within 12 to 72 hours after infection and lasting from four days to a week. Most recover without treatment.
“When I suffered the problem a year-and-a-half ago, the doctor said you really shouldn’t blame the restaurant,” White said. “Many times the source of the problem is the restaurant’s supplier. Sometimes things like this happen, but people in my office haven’t stopped eating out.”
lena.mitchell@journalinc.com