CORINTH – The candidates are set for Corinth’s municipal election primaries on Sept. 14, and in some cases the general election on Oct. 12, with all incumbents facing challengers.
Friday’s filing deadline passed with 23 candidates vying for mayor, police chief, at-large alderman and five ward seats for alderman.
Four races may be decided in the Sept. 14 party primaries in which only Democrats are seeking office: mayor, police chief, alderman at large and Ward 4 alderman. The Democratic primary also will determine who will face the Republican candidate in the general election for Ward 2 and Ward 5.
A Republican primary in Ward 1 may decide who will face the lone Democratic candidate for that seat, unless a Sept. 28 runoff is required in the three-way race if no candidate garners more than 50 percent of the votes.
Three Democratic candidates in the at-large and Ward 4 races also could lead to a Sept. 28 runoff.
Candidates for each office are:
* Mayor: Incumbent Jerry Latch, D; Tommy Irwin, D
* Chief of police: Incumbent David Lancaster, D; Chip Timbes, D
* At-large alderman: Incumbent Mike Hopkins, D; Jennifer Saffore McCoy, D; Barry Richards, D
* Ward 1 alderman: Kendall Steen, D; Charlotte E. Doehner, R; Mike Green, R; Andrew “Bubba” Labas, R
* Ward 2 alderman: Incumbent William H. “Bill” Plaxico, D; Preston Biggers Knight, D; Ben Albarracin, R
* Ward 3 alderman: Incumbent A.L. “Chip” Wood III, R; Samuel Perry Clark, D; Sharon Woodruff, independent
* Ward 4 alderman: Incumbent Steve Hill, D; Milus Copeland, D; J.C. “Honeyboy” Hill, D
* Ward 5 alderman: Incumbent David G. Roberts, D; Michael McFall, D; Brandon Whitley, R
Party officials will meet early next week to certify candidates.
However, no problems are expected, said City Clerk Vickie Roach, since the candidates’ residence addresses and registered voter status have been verified.
Absentee voting begins July 30 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Corinth City Hall.
Contact Lena Mitchell at (662) 287-9822 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lena Mitchell/NEMS Daily Journal