Corinth man sentenced to 40 years in 2013 shooting death

news_court_greenBy Lena Mitchell

Daily Journal Corinth Bureau

CORINTH – A Corinth man pleaded guilty in the 2013 shooting death of Karson Stewart and will serve 40 years in prison.

Demarlen Obryan Davis, 26, of Corinth, was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty to second degree murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, said District Attorney Trent Kelly.

Judge Jim Pounds sentenced Davis to 40 years on the second degree murder charge and 10 years on the firearms charge, to be served concurrently, Kelly said. He also will pay court costs and restitution that includes hospital and funeral expenses.

“We’re glad to be able to have closure for the family and victim,” Kelly said.

Stewart, 22, died March 26, 2013, after being shot while sitting behind the wheel of her car at an unoccupied residence at 602 Martin Luther King Drive, Corinth, and police arrested Davis at the scene.

During the preliminary hearing last year, the investigator testified that witnesses said Davis had threatened Stewart’s life earlier the day of her death, and who also said they saw Davis with a handgun. Both Stewart’s and Davis’ cellphones also contained text messages in which Davis threatened Stewart’s life the day of her death, the investigator said.

A .32-caliber handgun was found in a drainage pipe near the shooting site.

lena.mitchell@journalinc.com