By The Associated Press
HERNANDO — Authorities said a natural gas line fire burned two workers in DeSoto County and temporarily shut down a major thoroughfare.
DeSoto County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Dick Hackett said the two workers were burned on their faces and hands and were taken by private cars to a hospital. He said the injuries were not considered life threatening.
Robert Lesley, an Atmos Energy spokesman, said the workers were company technicians.
Hackett said the workers were fixing a gas leak when a spark caused the fire. The fire happened about 158 feet off U.S. 51, a major thoroughfare just north of the Tate County line.
Lesley said the line was repaired by Friday night. He said the company was investigating how the fire started.
The highway reopened just before the 5 p.m. rush hour.