Early morning fire caused by heater


A fire at Barley Courts apartments did not result in any injuries. (Courtesy photo)

By JB Clark

Daily Journal

TUPELO – A fire caused by an electric wall heater damaged four apartment units at the Barley Courts apartments on South Gloster Street early Thursday morning.

The four apartments were occupied, but Tupelo Fire Chief Thomas Walker said all of the residents got out. No one was injured.

Walker said the residents of one apartment pushed a couch against the heater.

“They said it hadn’t worked in a while and moved the couch,” he said. “When the weather got cold, the heater came on and the couch was a good fuel source.”

The fire department responded at 1:58 a.m.

Walker said this is the second fire they have responded to at the apartment complex involving heating equipment. Approximately three weeks ago, he said, they put out a fire caused by a space heater.

“Three feet is the distance you need to give any heating implement,” Walker said. “If you keep everything three feet away from a heat source, you should be good.”

Click video to hear audio