By NEMS Daily Journal
NMMC accepting applications for medical scholarships
– TUPELO – North Mississippi Medical Center is accepting applications for Medical Career Scholarships from graduating high school seniors in Lee, Pontotoc, Webster, Clay, Tishomingo and Marion (Ala.) counties.
Students who plan to major in a medical career, excluding dental and veterinary medicine, are eligible. Scholarships are funded by the Health Care Foundation of North Mississippi, and applications are available from local high school guidance counselors or by calling (662) 377-3245. Application deadline is March 15.
THS inducts first Interact club
– TUPELO – More than 50 students at Tupelo High School were inducted into the first class of the school’s new Interact club. The organization is sponsored by the Rotary Club of Tupelo.
Interact is a worldwide service club open to students ages 14 to 18. Each year, clubs are required to undertake one local and one international service project.
Rotary International approved the club’s charter on Feb. 17.
“This club will give our students an opportunity to help people in our community,” said adviser Baden Honeycutt, math teacher at THS. “Their activities will also help build leadership qualities.”
THS senior Peyton Lewis is president of the new club. THS history teachers Anna Kathryn Hill and Matt Justice also advise the club.
Saltillo Elementary presents Puppet Arts Theatre
– SALTILLO – Two Puppet Arts Theatre productions of Pinocchio will be presented at Saltillo Elementary School on March 3 at 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. For more information, call (662) 869-2211. The performance is made possible in part by a grant from the Mississippi Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Keri Horn adapted the story specifically for the needs of Puppet Arts Theatre. The presentation uses three-dimensional rod puppets, shadow puppets and masked actors.
Mississippi State Alumni Association will host 133rd MSU birthday party
– STARKVILLE – Mississippi State celebrates the 133rd anniversary of its founding with a birthday party today sponsored by the university’s alumni association and Starkville’s Cadence Bank.
Free and open to all, the celebration takes place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Junction. Complimentary hamburgers, chips, cookies, soft drinks and MSU ice cream will be provided, while supplies last. A giant birthday cake will be provided by MSU Dining Services for the event.
For more information, contact the MSU Alumni Association at (662) 325-3444 or visit www.alumni.msstate.edu.
Adkerson honored as MSU Alumnus of the Year
– STARKVILLE – Longtime Mississippi State supporter Richard C. Adkerson received the university’s 2011 national alumnus of the year award during a Feb. 18 banquet on campus.
The 1969 MSU graduate is president and CEO of Freeport-McMoRan Copper amp& Gold Inc., the world’s largest publicly traded copper producer. A former Mississippi resident, he graduated from Kosciusko High School and attended Tupelo High School.
A Phoenix, Ariz., resident, Adkerson is also co-chairman of McMoRan Exploration Co., an international oil and gas exploration company. In 2007, a $5 million gift by Adkerson to the College of Business was recognized by naming in his honor the college’s School of Accountancy.
At the banquet, the association also honored Jack Cristil of Tupelo for nearly 60 years of service as “Voice of the Bulldogs.”
ICC band auditions set for March 25
– FULTON – Auditions for the 2011 fall marching season of the Itawamba Community College All-America Band are scheduled for March 25 at 3 p.m. on the Fulton campus.
Those interested in color guard will audition in the ICC Fitness Center, Indianette and twirler participants will try out in the ICC Band Hall, and drum majors should report to the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium. A uniform is preferred for the drum major audition, and color guard participants must bring their own flag.
Instrumental auditions are scheduled by appointment by contacting director Brian Gillentine by phone at (662) 862-8305 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Instrumental auditions are waived if the applicant placed in the All-District or All-State band.