Northeast to host workshop on iPads in education
- Northeast Mississippi Community College will host “iPads in Education,” on Tuesday from 2 to 4 p.m. in Holliday Hall Auditorium on the Booneville campus. The two-hour workshop will focus on implications in higher education and a demonstration of the latest applications.
Admission is free. For more information or to register for the workshop, contact Jeffrey Powell at (662) 720-7585 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
NEMCC offers Praxis Workshop
- Northeast Mississippi Community College’s Division of Continuing Education will offer a Praxis Workshop in November.
The workshop will meet on Nov. 10 in Room 234 in McCoy Hall on the Booneville campus. It will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. Cost is $35.
Pre-registration is required for all Northeast continuing education courses, and applications should be turned in one week prior to the selected class. For more information about Northeast’s continuing education classes, contact Phyllis Colson at (662) 720-7277 or 800-555-2154, ext. 7277. Colson can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICC schedules November GED testing
- The high school equivalency (GED) test will be given at the Itawamba Community College Belden Center on Nov. 3, 6, 10 and 17 and at the Houston WIN Job Center on Nov. 20. The test will begin at 7:30 a.m. each day. The Belden Center is located at 3200 Adams Farm Road.
ICC’s Tech Prep wins national award
n The Itawamba Community College Tech Prep Consortium received the “Innovation in Tech Prep/Career Pathways National Award” recently in recognition of the ICC Career Expo 2010.
The award was presented at the National Association of Tech Prep Leadership Forum in Dallas. ICC was the recipient of one of three national awards presented during the National Career Pathways Network Conference.
Marcus Simmons, ICC’s Tech Prep coordinator, accepted the award.
Fundraiser will help parents understand Apple laptops
- Milam Elementary’s Parent Teacher Organization and Apple are sponsoring “Are You Smarter Than Our Sixth Graders” on Nov. 8 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Tupelo High School Performing Arts Center.
The event is aimed toward helping parents better understand how to use the new Apple MacBooks that have been supplied to all Tupelo students in grades six to 12. It is also open to non-parents and to those who live outside of Tupelo.
The event is a fundraiser for the Milam PTO, and proceeds will benefit the school’s technology. Tickets are $15 and are available at Reed’s, Luxe, Yellow Lovebirds, Joe Joe’s Coffee, Margarete’s, Village Frame Shoppe and Doodles. For more information, call (662) 841-0205.
BNA Bank announces “Money for Books” cash award
- BNA Bank announced that it will establish the BNA Bank “Money for Books” $500 award for deserving seniors who plan to attend college in Mississippi.
The bank will award $500 to a senior at each Lee County high school. The award is to be paid at the beginning of the student’s freshman year of college.
All Lee County graduating high school seniors who plan to attend college in Mississippi are eligible to enter. To learn more about the award, log on to www.bnabank.com or visit the BNA Bank location at 3041 McCullough Blvd. in Belden.
In addition, a scholarship is in place for New Albany/Union County seniors. Students should contact their guidance counselor for information regarding application.
Fifth-grade essay contest celebrates mothers
- American Mothers, Inc., is sponsoring its annual essay contest for fifth-grade students, or the equivalent, in the public, private and home school sectors. The nationwide contest’s theme is “What My Mother Means to Me.”
Essays may be completed as teacher-assigned pieces of work, home school assignments or as an extra-curricular activity.
The contest runs until Feb. 20, and American Mothers, Inc. will select winners on a state level. One national winner will be chosen from the first-place winners of each state. Winners will be announced at the end of March. For information about submitting essays, e-mail Andrea Ball at email@example.com.
NEMS Daily Journal