By Chris Kieffer
TUPELO – Tupelo Middle School had a minor gas leak on Thursday afternoon, about 10 minutes before dismissal.
The leak occurred at about 3:05 p.m., as staff was installing a new combi oven at the school. Staff and students were evacuated to let fire officials assess the situation.
The leak has been successfully repaired, but because of the timing, students were not allowed to return to class to retrieve their belongings.
Students will report to their seventh-period class at 7:50 on Friday morning to retrieve their stuff and will then report directly to first period.