By NEMS Daily Journal
TUPELO – Times have been announced for events marking the 75th anniversary of the tornado that struck Tupelo on April 5, 1936, and killed more than 200 people.
* Tuesday, April 5 – The “Tupelo Tornado” film will be shown at the Lyric Theatre at 5:15 p.m. Mayor Jack Reed Jr. will present a city proclamation before the film begins. A small reception will be held at 4 p.m. for tornado survivors and family members.
* Wednesday, April 6 – The Lee County Public Library hosts a Tupelo Tornado panel discussion-lunch at noon. This panel will include tornado survivors, film experts and historians.
* Thursday, April 7 – A new documentary on the tornado, produced and created by Terry Swindoll, debuts at 5:15 p.m. at the Link Centre.
* Friday, April 8 – At 9 a.m., the 75th Anniversary Tupelo memorial monument will be unveiled and dedicated at Gumtree Park.
* Saturday, April 9 – It will be “Feature Day” for the Oren Dunn City Museum tornado exhibit. A HAM radio group also will be doing a demonstration outside the museum.