FIREFIGHTERS BATTLE FIRE TWICE IN ONE NIGHT
KOSSUTH – Volunteer firefighters were dispatched twice in the same night to an Alcorn County family’s home that was destroyed by a weekend fire.
Firefighters thought they had extinguished all of the sparks but the fire reignited and gutted the brick house.
The fire was reported the first time by a passerby about 7:30 p.m. on County Road 408 in the Biggersville community.
About 18 firefighters from Biggersville, Rienzi and Southwest volunteer departments were dispatched to the scene in which they spent an hour battling the blazes and cleaning up the debris before leaving.
“We though we had it out, but apparently we didn’t,” said Rienzi Fire Chief James Reed.
Shortly before 11 p.m. the departments were dispatched a second time. By the time firefighters arrived on the scene that time, fire had engulfed the house.
“By the time we got back there, it was too far gone,” Reed said.
The owners, David and Patty Bishop were not at home when the fire was reported. The first fire is believed to have occurred in the kitchen area.
-Cynthia M. Jeffries