By NEMS Daily Journal
Columbus stopped four of Starkville’s two-point conversion attempts Friday night in Starkville, but none were bigger than the last in the Falcons’ 34-32 win.
Starkville had a chance to tie the game and send it into overtime with two seconds left following a 1-yard scoring run by Jaques Johnson, but a failed two-point conversion run doomed the Yellowjackets (5-6, 3-4 in Division 1-6A) in their final game of the year.
Johnson recorded three scores on the ground, all coming from a yard out.
Cedric Jackson had a hand in every score for Columbus (3-8, 2-5), throwing for four TDs and running in another.
Columbus led 16-14 at halftime.
– Eupora 26, Walnut 13: Deshawn Sparks ran for 173 yards and a score on 22 carries to push the Eagles (8-3) into the second round of Class 2A playoff action. Shaquille Perry ran for two TDs and 110 yards on 22 carries for Walnut (8-4).
– Water Valley 28, Corinth 0: Four different players scored for Water Valley in its Class 3A opening round playoff win. Eric Buckley (52), Torrey Horton (5) and Kenon Kirkwood (41) all rushed for TDs and C.J. Jackson hauled in a 38-yard pass from E.J. Bounds for the Blue Devils (10-2).
– Winona 37, Booneville 21: Ole Miss commit Chief Brown scored on runs of 56 and 18 yards in Class 3A first-round playoff action for Winona. Brendan Pannell had scoring runs of 45 and 2 yards for Booneville (5-6). Winona travels to Division 3 top seed Charelston Friday night for second-round playoff action.
– New Albany 45, Rosa Fort 9: New Albany rolled to its 12th straight win to open the Class 4A playoffs. Tyler Basil threw for two scores and 171 yards on 9 of 13 passing and added a 1-yard run for the Bulldogs (12-0). Kareem Brown returned an interception 49 yards for a score and was on the other end of a 48-yard TD pass from Basil. New Albany hosts Kosciusko Friday night in the second round of the playoffs.
– Center Hill 35, Itawamba 21: Maikhail Miller scored on runs of 5 and 1 yards, and connected with Shante Rogers for a 22-yard TD pass, but could not convert on a fourth and 10 play late in the fourth quarter to sustain a possible game-tying drive for the Indians (6-6) in the first round of the Class 4A playoffs. Justin Givens scored on runs of 23, 19 and 49 yards for Center Hill. Center Hill led at halftime 14-7.
– Okolona 27, Coldwater 0: Jordan Ivy accounted for three scores for the Chieftans (9-2, 7-0 Division 1-A), scoring on runs of 14 and 30 yards, and returning an interception 97 yards.
– Falkner 47, Wheeler 12: Will Robertson and Kendrick Williams combined for a dominant rushing night to seal the win for the Eagles (4-7, 3-4 Division 1-1A). Robertson rushed for four TDs and 254 yards on 14 carries, while Williams finished with 119 yards on six carries and a score.
– Greenwood 14, Amory 7: No scoring information provided.