By NEMS Daily Journal
Oxford steamed part Pearl 40-14 in a Class 5A playoff opener on Friday night as quarterback Guy Billups was right on target.
The Chargers (9-3) advance to a quarterfinal date with defending Class 5A champion West Point on Friday.
Billups completed 12 of 14 passes for 267 yayrds and four touchdowns, including three strikes to Deshaun McNeal (39, 23, 28) and a 70-yard scoring toss to Monquarious Gipson.
Lamont Dean boosted the Oxford attack with 171 yards on 18 carries for two touchdowns (37, 8).
– Okolona 40, Shaw 6: The Chieftains (10-2) are headed to the Class 1A quarterfinals for the second year in a row after a big homefield victory. They’ll host Smithville on Friday.
Six different Okolona players got on the scoreboard with touchdowns, with Fred Ward scoring on second-half runs of 14 and 1 yards.
The hosts led 14-0 at halftime.
They threw some wrinkles at us in the first half but we responded well,” said Okolona coach Calvin Aldridge, who improved to 19-6 in two seasons at the school. “We came out in the second half and really performed.”
Coahoma County 26, Baldwyn 9: For the Bearcats (7-5), the season ended in second round of the Class 2A playoffs, a season after reaching the quarterfinals.
– East Webster 38, Mound Bayou JFK 12: The Wolverines (13-0) are headed to the Class 2A quarterfinals for a second year in a row after a big win at home.
East Webster visits Calhoun City (13-0) on Friday.
The home team found itself trailing 6-0 in the first quarter and led only 8-6 at halftime.
The Wolverines rushed for 343 yards – the team’s total offensive output – as Tamarcus Bell rushed 23 times for 168 yards and two TDs (5, 3). Ledrick Patterson ran 11 times for 76 yards and three TDs (9., 37, 2) and Demetrius O’Briant added 100 yards on 10 carries.
Three Wolverines racked up 12 tackles: Miguel Graham, Damien Britt and Zavier Moye. Graham and Moye added interceptions..
– Shannon 42, Greenwood 8: The Red Raiders (9-3) are headed back to the 4A quarterfinals for a third straight year after a big win on the road.
Bo Taylor rushed 20 times for 264 yards and four touchdowns (5, 1, 2, 8) and Devin Gilleylen scored on a 34-yard interception return.
Shannon, which 35-0 at halftime, will play Noxubee County, a 12-6 winner over Center Hill.
– Vardaman 42, Montgomery County 26: The Rams (9-3) continued their playoff run as Dontae Walker rushed for three touchdowns (32, 3, 3) and added another on a blocked punt.
Vardaman led 21-12 at halftime and led just 21-20 when Walker blocked the punt to give the Rams some breathing room.
– Smithville 27, Coffeeville 21: The Seminoles (9-3) won in overtime as Antwan Freeman scored his second touchdown of the game, on a 3-yard run.
Smithville, which was stunned in the first round of the playoffs last season after an undefeated regular season, visits Okolona next week in a quarterfinal con test.
– Calhoun City 48, Hollandale Simmons 6: The undefeated Wildcats (13-0) advance to a Class 2A quarterfinal match at home against East Webster. Game details had not been provided by the school at our deadline.