GUNTOWN – A Guntown home was charred and gutted Tuesday by flames that moved quickly through the northern Lee County structure.
No one was injured in the fire that was reported about 11 a.m. at 211 Edison St.
Clothes set on fire behind the house for heat was the possible cause of the fire that destroyed the wood-frame home.
The owner, Charlie Waide, told a local TV station he was burning old clothes and left the house for a while. When he returned his home was ablaze.
Waide believes wind may have blown a spark from the fire onto the house.
The 15 or so firefighters from Guntown, Ceder Hill and Saltillo needed about 30 minutes to knock down the majority of the flames, said Guntown Fire Chief David Wood.
Cynthia M. Jeffries