JACKSON – Several major changes stemming from the national health care overhaul take effect today, including a ban on cancellation of policies and an extension of coverage for dependents.
But it could be another few months before Mississippians actually feel the impact, said Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney.
Even though today is the effective implementation date, said Chaney, “most Mississippi policyholders will not see changes until their policies renew, and for the most that won’t occur until Jan. 1, 2011.”
Among the new rules:
– An insurance company cannot cancel a policy for any reason except for fraud or misrepresentation.
– An insurance company can no longer set a cap on claims payments for essential benefits.
– Restrictions will be placed on annual claims payment caps that an insurance company may apply.
– Children may remain covered by their parents insurance plan until the age of 26.
– An insurance company cannot deny coverage to any person under the age of 19 due to a pre-existing condition.
NEMS Daily Journal