HED: United Methodist Senior Services of Mississippi Inc. Meals on Wheels
By Eileen Bailey
- Year organized: 1972; United Way member since 1973.
- People served: Meals on Wheels targets the frail, isolated and hard-to-serve groups of older people. Recipients must be 60 or older with a need for the service. The average age served is 81.
- Annual budget: $27,000.
- United Way Contribution: $27,000.
- Director: Virginia Huskison.
- Purpose: “Meals on Wheels is the arm of ministry of the Untied Methodist Senior Services that reaches out into communities in our service area. Through the outreach ministry, our agency identifies and serves the frail, isolated and hard-to-serve groups of older persons.
“Hot noon meals are delivered by volunteers to those older adults who are unable to prepare their own meals.”