HED:Lightning sparks pair of Oxford fires



HED:Lightning sparks pair of Oxford fires

OXFORD – Lightning from a Thursday evening storm sparked two separate fires within a half-block of each other in Oxford.

About 6 p.m. Thursday, a lightning strike to a tree caused an underground gas line to erupt and catch fire behind the the Davis Drive Apartments, according to the Oxford Police Department fire reports.

Residents within a block of the 10-foot high blue flame were evacuated for about an hour while firefighters and Entex gas officials worked to get the fire under control.

About 6:30 p.m., an attic fire was discovered at a Harris Drive home. Firefighters also believe that fire was sparked by lightning, in this case traveling through power lines.

No one was injured in either of the fires.

Click video to hear audio