HED:Lightning sparks pair of Oxford fires



HED:Lightning sparks pair of Oxford fires

OXFORD – Lightning from a Thursday evening storm sparked two separate fires within a half-block of each other in Oxford.

About 6 p.m. Thursday, a lightning strike to a tree caused an underground gas line to erupt and catch fire behind the the Davis Drive Apartments, according to the Oxford Police Department fire reports.

Residents within a block of the 10-foot high blue flame were evacuated for about an hour while firefighters and Entex gas officials worked to get the fire under control.

About 6:30 p.m., an attic fire was discovered at a Harris Drive home. Firefighters also believe that fire was sparked by lightning, in this case traveling through power lines.

No one was injured in either of the fires.