By NEMS Daily Journal
OKOLONA – Jordan Ivy accounted for four touchdowns Friday, including an 81-yard punt return in the fourth quarter, to lead Okolona to a 57-0 season-opening win win against Houlka.
Ivy opened the scoring in the first quarter with a 61-yard scamper. Later in the quarter he fired TD passes of 25 and 42 yards to Antwon Grady.
Nathan Bailey’s 17-yard run with a fumble return gave the Chieftains a 26-0 lead.
Fred Ward’s touchdown runs of 12 and 42 yards gave Okolona its 39-0 halftime lead.
Martavius Ford added a 27-yard scoring run and Rudell Fells had a 9-yard score in the third quarter.
– Biggersville 37, New Site 0: Dexter Stafford scored on a 64-yard punt return in the first quarter and D.J. Johnson added two touchdown runs to power Biggersville past New Site.
Johnson scored on runs of 20 and 25 yards for the Lions.
Darrian Williams added a 35-yard TD run and Torry Rees caught a 12-yard scoring toss from Blake Stacey for the winners.
Biggersville rushed for 229 yards using six running backs.
– Pontotoc 9, Velma Jackson 6: Chance Cummings recovered a fumble in the endzone in the third quarter that gave Pontotoc its winning points.
The Warriors took a 2-0 lead in the second quarter on a safety.
Velma Jackson answered later in the same quarter when Michael Gordon scored on a 49-yard run.
– Hatley 41, Immanuel Christian 6: Cody Taylor scored three touchdowns, one on a 50-yard run in the second quarter, to lead Hatley.
Taylor’s other TD runs covered 21 and 9 yards.
Tyler Edwards added touchdowns on runs of 28 and 30 yards for the Tigers while John Tubbs returned a pass interception 31 yards.
– Oxford 41, Ray Brooks 12: Guy Billups threw three touchdown passes in the first quarter to lead Oxford.
Billups’ passes covered 75 yards to Robert Liggins, 10 yards to Deshawn McNeal and 7 yards to Stan Ivy.
Lamont Dean, Que Holman and Jeoffrey Gordon scored TDs rushing for the winning Chargers.
– East Webster 35, South Pontotoc 14: Demetrius O’Briant scored three touchdowns and Ledrick Patterson two to power East Webster.
O’Briant’s runs covered 2, 14 and 17 yards while Patterson’s runs of 2 and 14 yards.
South Pontotoc scored on a 92-yard run by Deonte Dilworth and a 9-yard run by Matthew Berry.
– Walnut 45, Wheeler 22: Running back Shaquille Perry scored four touchdowns and rushed for 182 yards on seven carries in the first quarter to lead Walnut.
Wyatt Huffman added an 80-yard kickoff return in the third quarter for the Wildcats. Dominic Steele scored on an 11-yard run and Jacob Hopper had a 42-yard TD scamper for the winners.
Daryl Barefield scored on runs of 42, 37 and 4 yards for Wheeler, which made its debut under first-year coach John David Horn.
n Calhoun City 54, Coffeeville 6: Quarterback J.R. Jennings threw for one touchdown and ran for another to lead Calhoun City.
Jennings scored in the second quarter on an 8-yard run, then added a 44-yard TD pass to Damarius Howard before halftime. Howard added an 8-yard score in the first half.
Levarious Varnado scored on a 13-yard run for the Wildcats’ first points. Arnsenio Lee’s blocked punt led to another first-quarter score.
Aaron Thompson’s 43-yard run with a fumble, a 10-yard run by Rickey Conlee and a 2-yard run by Trey Brownlee finished out the Calhoun City scoring.
– Hernando 27, Itawamba AHS 7: Mahkail Miller hooked up with receiver Austin Shumpert on a 48-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter for the Indians’ lone score.
n Ripley 13, North Panola 12: Ripley coach Grady McCluskey won his debut with the Tigers, leading them to a 13-12 victory against North Panola.
Austin Hamilton scored on a 1-yard run and Devin Jones added a 13-yard score in the first quarter for the Tigers.
North Panola’s Ricky Hunt caught a 69-yard pass from Martavious Butler, who also scored on an 8-yard run.