Following one hour and 15 minutes of competition between the county's top spellers, Amanda Collier was able to claim her victory off the word “expeditious.” Collier, a seventh-grader at Dorsey Attendance Center is shown being congratulated by teachers from Dorsey who helped coach her, from left, Vicki Cates, Jo Vandam and Cheryl Snipes. Collier is the daughter of Tammy Walton and Jessie Walton. Other students earning top places in the competition were Jesse James, third place; and Corey Chamblee, second place. – Photo by Alisha H. Wilson
More In Business
More In Lifestyle
- Back to beginnings: Comics rule entertainment, but what about the books?
- LESLIE CRISS: Christmas can wait until we celebrate Thanksgiving
- ROBERT ST. JOHN: Thinking about Thanksgiving through the years
- Volunteers help beautify Tupelo with daffodils
- Human Rights Campaign seeks to change hearts and minds in Mississippi