Following one hour and 15 minutes of competition between the county's top spellers, Amanda Collier was able to claim her victory off the word “expeditious.” Collier, a seventh-grader at Dorsey Attendance Center is shown being congratulated by teachers from Dorsey who helped coach her, from left, Vicki Cates, Jo Vandam and Cheryl Snipes. Collier is the daughter of Tammy Walton and Jessie Walton. Other students earning top places in the competition were Jesse James, third place; and Corey Chamblee, second place. – Photo by Alisha H. Wilson
More In Business
More In Opinion
- OUR OPINION: Questions remain after funding rewrite proposal
- BOBBY HARRISON: Pursuit of more education funding kind of like searching for Bigfoot
- MARTY RUSSELL: Almost time to send in the clowns
- OUR OPINION: Strong investment in early childhood education still needed
- CHARLIE MITCHELL: Other states choose sovereignty, but not Mississippi?