Lafayette County murder suspect just out of prison

OXFORD – Murder suspect Caleb Carrothers had already gone to prison before his 18th birthday.
Carrothers, 27, is charged with two counts of capital murder in the deaths of Frank Clark and his son Taylor, who died of gunshot wounds at their home on County Road 494 on the night of July 11. The suspect is charged with aggravated assault in the shooting of Frank’s wife and Taylor’s mother, Tonya, who is recovering. Another son who was at the home was not physically harmed in the attack.
Carrothers had been sentenced to 10 years concurrent for each of four armed robbery counts in Lafayette County. He had just begun five years of post-release probation.
“He started serving in May 1999 and was released May 19, 2009,” said Department of Corrections spokeswoman Suzanne Singletary. Because his convictions were all at the same time, he avoided habitual criminal status, which would have otherwise compelled his imprisonment for life without parole.
Now, he currently is in the Lafayette County Detention Center without bond. He had turned himself in to the sheriff’s office about a week after the shootings.
Oxford Police Chief Mike Martin said that in order to protect the investigation he could say little more about the suspect other than he was known to his department.
“I will confirm that he had a prior record with us,” Martin said.
District Attorney Ben Creekmore could not be reached Monday afternoon for further details of the ongoing investigation.
Contact Errol Castens at (662) 281-1069 or errol.castens@djournal.com.

Errol Castens/NEMS Daily Journal