Lee County authorities have levied a charge of murder against a woman who allegedly poured gasoline on her husband and set him ablaze early Thursday.
A murder affidavit was filed Friday against Margaret King, 33, of Shannon
Her husband, Early King Jr., 37, died early Friday at the Firefighters Burn Center in the Delta Regional Medical Center in Greenville. He had been burned over 94 percent of his body.
Mrs. King is also in the Greenville hospital with burns to about 80 percent of her body. She was in critical but stable condition Friday.
She will be transported to the county jail upon her release from the hospital.
Lee County Sheriff’s Department Lt. Terry Jones said the woman was mad at her husband, but she would not discuss why.
The fire was reported about 1:45 a.m. Thursday in the King’s downstairs apartment at Shannon Rentals Apartment Complex just off state Highway 145.
Neighbors reported hearing an explosion, which officials believe occurred when Margaret King ignited the gasoline.
Margaret King’s 9-year-old daughter was also burned. She was in the North Mississippi Medical Center Friday in stable condition with burns to her feet, legs and arms.
Cynthia M. Jeffries