Lightning from an afternoon thunderstorm sparked a house fire in West Tupelo, Tupelo fire officials said.
Flames were already coming out of the roof when Tupelo firefighters arrived at the Windover Drive residence about 4:20 p.m., said Tupelo Fire Chief Mike Burns. The fire caused major damage to the attic and roof of the house.
Firefighters stayed on the scene for two-and-half hours to make sure the blaze was completely out.
One person was home at the time of the lightning strike but was able to leave the house without injury. No other injuries were reported.
Additionally, a small fire was reported at South Park Manor Apartments on South Green Street about 2:05 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters put out the small kitchen fire with a fire extinguisher.