By Lena Mitchell/NEMS Daily Journal
CORINTH – Saturday’s schedule of events in downtown Corinth is expected to draw hundreds of out-of-towners as well as local folks for a wide array of activities.
An 8 a.m. start for the Green Market at the Corinth Depot, followed at 8:30 a.m. by the start of the Coca-Cola 10K run, sets the tone for a busy day that includes home tours, art sales, music performances, Civil War drama and more.
A number of downtown businesses are participating in a Sidewalk Sale event organized by Main Street Corinth to lure many of the expected visitors in.
“We’re really excited about the participation we’ve received,” said Kelly Rinehart, Main Street Corinth director. “We’re hoping balloons we put downtown to draw attention to the stores helps a little bit also.”
The dozen or so businesses who will participate this month is more than double the number that participated in the season’s first event in April. Future dates for the event are June 5 and July 3.
“The businesses must sign up as members of Main Street to participate in the advertising,” Rinehart said, “and we have increased membership with this promotion.”
Among last month’s participating businesses was Franklin Cruise.
Manager John Frame said he has seen the collaboration of Main Street Corinth and the Corinth Area Convention and Visitors Bureau combining events having a very positive effect on his business.
“The Grand Illumination seemed to be a turning point last year,” Frame said. “Once there started to be multiple events on the same day, it really started impacting my business.”
Making downtown seem fun is the key.
“There’s a lot happening, so if someone is not interested in one thing, there are other things for them to do,” Frame said. “People want to come downtown, and if you make it fun they’ll drive from all over the place.”
Contact Lena Mitchell at (662) 287-9822 or email@example.com.
Events postponed from April 24:
- Corinth Home and Garden Tour : 10 a.m.-4 p.m. – Includes tours of the Oak Home and The Columns, tickets $10; art auction with 70
items from 54 artists; a Greens & Things tent with horticultural items; a Sweets & Things tent with cakes, pies, jellies, snack items and more.
- Fillmore Street Chapel: Free musical entertainment throughout the day with performances beginning hourly from 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Civil War Heritage Day at the Verandah-Curlee House Museum: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Free event with museum tours available 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Civil War re-enactor drills at 2 p.m., live period music and Civil War relics display.
Events already planned for May 1:
- Coca-Cola 10K run: Begins at 8:30 a.m.
- Green Market at the Corinth Depot: 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Features vendors bringing home grown or handmade products from a 100-mile
- Sidewalk Sale: Main Street Corinth businesses offering specials to Saturday shoppers, in conjunction with the Green Market.
- Corinth Symphony Concert: Season ending concer t 7 p.m. At the Corinth Coliseum; tickets $15, with discounts for students and military.