NEWSFLASH: Breaking news (that’s not real) – Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Macy’s and PF Chang’s will anchor a new 1.2 million mall near Tupelo….
BUT sorry – it’s only somebody’s wild imagination.
This blurb was posted on a Topix forum a few days ago. It’s full of inaccuracies, but it has a ring of good marketing. Here’s the fantasy/fiction post from a “Sally” from Memphis:
“Lee County will be the fastest growing county in Mississippi for the next 20 years according to forecasts by the Tupelo Regional Council of Governments. Retail development has announced The Mall of Tupelo, which is a 1,200,000 SF retail development in Tupelo, Mississippi and will be located approximately 5 miles from New Albany and Blue Springs, MS off highway 78.
This prime location is ideally situated directly in front of the busy Interstate 22 and highway 78 near the Toyota Plant. Easy access and great visibility positioned this development front and center in this growing and successful area.
The Mall of Tupelo will be anchored by Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus and Macy’s to include Nine West, Juicy Couture, and P.F. Chang’s China Bistro.
Ground-breaking will begin in July 2012 with a projected opening of Spring 2013. The Mall will employ over 800 workers.
That’s pretty wild, isn’t it?
So let’s tear it down a bit:
• First, there’s no Tupelo Regional Council of Governments. There is a Council of Governments that includes the citys and towns of Lee County.
• Second, “five miles from New Albany and Blue Springs” is basically in the middle of nowhere.
• Third, the supposed mall “ideally situated directly in front of the busy Interstate 22 and highway 78 near the Toyota Plant” … well, Highway 78 and Interstate 22 are the same thing. Highway 78 has been designated the future I-22.
• Fourth, if a 1.2 million square-foot mall were to open in less than a year, wouldn’t we have seen some massive dirt work going on? More importantly, do you seriously think the developer would keep it quiet and post it on an online forum?
• And finally, if Target hasn’t made it to Tupelo yet, do you really think the likes of Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus and Macy’s would build near Blue Springs? Nothing against the good people of that community, but seriously…
Now, should this all come true, then I’ll gladly take my computer and eat it.