Man dies in Iuka house fire

By Lena Mitchell/NEMS Daily Journal

IUKA – An Iuka man died of apparent smoke inhalation after being brought out of his burning apartment Tuesday night.
Franklin O’Neal, 58, was pronounced dead outside his Gaines Street apartment about 11 p.m., said Tishomingo County Coroner Mack Wilemon.
Neighbors reported the fire in the three-unit building, and when firefighters arrived O”Neal was still inside, Wilemon said. They were able to bring him out, but Wilemon determined on examination that he had succumbed to the smoke.
The apartment building contained three attached units, with O’Neal living in the first unit, the second unit unoccupied, and resident Derrick Wilson in the third unit. Wilson was at home when the fire broke out, but was able to escape his apartment without injury.
State fire marshals were called in, but no cause has been determined. The case remains under investigation.

Click video to hear audio