Mantachie toddler hospitalized with severe burns

By The Itawamba County Times

A Mantachie toddler has been hospitalized after suffering severe burns, Thursday night.

Two-year-old Gabriel Wigginton is being treated at a burn center in Georgia after reportedly suffering second and third degree burns to more than 60 percent of his body.

According to Kirk Reese with the Mantachie Fire Department, firemen responded to a call from a home on Peck Road in the Shiloh Community at around 6:30 p.m., where Wigginton’s grandfather was reportedly burning the gasoline out of a gas tank when the accident occurred. Believing the fire to be extinguished, Wigginton’s grandfather turned the tank on its side, spilling flames atop the child.

Wigginton was initially carried to the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo via ambulance but was then transferred to the Georgia treatment facility.

Officials are still investigating the fire.

Proceeds from the Color My World Fall Festival in Tupelo on Friday night were donated to Tiffany Wigginton and her family for expenses while they are with Gabriel in Georgia.

According to Tiffany Wigginton’s Facebook page, Gabriel was
on life support Friday and will undergo a series of surgeries.

adam.armour@journalinc.com