By NEMS Daily Journal
VAN VLEET – The quick actions of a camp director stopped a small fire at Girl Scouts camp Tik-A-Witha in Van Vleet.
The camp director smelled smoke early Monday morning and notified the fire department, which put out the small fire in a remote area of camp.
Jenny Jones with Girl Scouts Heart of the South council said a tree had fallen on a power line, causing a spark that grew in the dry ground. The fire was in a dirt pit that was far from the Scouts’ cabins.
“The girls’ safety is our primary concern, and all the campers are fine,” Jones said.