No St. Paddy's parade planned this year in Tupelo

By Carlie Kollath/NEMS Daily Journal

TUPELO -The Downtown Tupelo Main Street Association this year has opted not to produce a St. Patrick’s Day parade downtown. Instead, the group is creating a new event called Wine Downtown.
Debbie Brangenberg, Main Street’s executive director, said board members decided that their efforts in producing the parade would be better spent on a new event.
The St. Paddy’s Day parade originally was coordinated by The Rib Cage, a now-defunct downtown restaurant. Main Street helped promote and assist with the parade, Brangenberg said.
When the restaurant closed in 2004, Main Street took over the parade. Last year it was canceled because of cold, wet weather.
Brangenberg added that the parade may return to its original model of being spearheaded by a downtown merchant, if one wants to take over the event.
She said the board will decide later this year if it wants to host a parade in 2011.
But for now, Main Street is focusing on an April wine-tasting event, patterned after the Wine Down Main activity it coordinated in 2008.
The ticketed event will start at 5 p.m. on April 29.
Many of the other details are being worked out, said Main Street Board President Amy Nash. She added that during Wine Downtown, the wine will be served in limited quantities inside downtown businesses.
“This is more about coming downtown to shop and fellowship and taste some wine while you’re here,” Nash said. “The ultimate goal is that this will become a larger event and become a wine festival, but I don’t think we’re there yet.”
Contact Carlie Kollath at (662) 678-1598 or carlie.kollath@djournal.com.