Official: Taped Main St. lanes holding up well

By Carlie Kollath/NEMS Daily Journal

TUPELO – The restriped section of Main Street will stay as is until permanent construction starts next year.
The downtown section of Main Street was temporarily restriped earlier this year to three lanes as part of a traffic test required before City Council members would vote on the configuration.
Temporary tape and orange traffic barrels were put in place during the test.
The City Council last week voted 5-2 to make the configuration permanent. The traffic pattern is part of a larger project from the Downtown Tupelo Main Street Association to make downtown more of a destination for pedestrians, cyclists, tourists, shoppers and diners.
The $2.9 million plan is 80 percent funded from state and federal sources. The city of Tupelo has committed the remaining 20 percent.
The project moves into the design phase now. Main Street leaders told the City Council that they expect construction to begin in about a year.
Jon Milstead, with the Community Development Foundation, said Wednesday that it is his understanding that the road will stay marked as it is until the permanent construction begins.
“If some portion of the tape wears out, it would probably be replaced with another tape stripe,” Milstead said via email. “The tape is holding up well and problems are not expected.”
He added that the Downtown Tupelo Main Street Association is working with Tupelo Water & Light to make adjustments to downtown traffic signals.


Contact Carlie Kollath at (662) 678-1598 or carlie.kollath@journalinc.com.