By Parrish Alford/NEMS Daily Journal
• Looking back: The Rebels were 1-3 on the week, all games against ranked opponents. Ole Miss went into the weekend as the SEC’s No. 1 defensive team but committed six errors in its three losses.
Errors played a big part in an early deficit in an 8-2 loss at LSU on Sunday as the Tigers clinched the series 2-1. A dropped fly ball led to the decisive run in a 4-3, 10-inning loss at Southern Miss last Wednesday.
The win was a 16-3 decision on Saturday at LSU, the most runs for Ole Miss in an SEC game since getting 19 last May 2 at Mississippi State. The Rebels collected 18 hits in the win.
• Looking ahead: Ole Miss is back in action Tuesday night at 6:30 against Memphis at AutoZone Park. Ole Miss defeated Memphis 4-2 on Feb. 22 in Oxford. The Rebels are at home against Georgia for this weekend’s SEC series.
• Who’s hot: Senior outfielder Matt Smith hit .545 for the LSU series and .467 (7 for 15) for the week. He was 2 for 5 with a double in Saturday’s win and had three of the Rebels’ eight hits – including his fifth home run – on Sunday.
• Who’s not: After a strong performance at Tennessee the previous week, left-hander Austin Wright was roughed up at LSU giving up eight runs, five earned, on eight hits in 31/3 innings.
• RPI watch: The Rebels begin the week with an RPI ranking of 15.
• Bottom line: Ole Miss appears to be playing better on offense but needs to find itself again defensively. At 4-5 in the SEC, the next two weekends – Georgia and Kentucky both at home – offer an opportunity to make a move in the conference.