CORINTH – About two dozen Farmington and Wenasoga residents turned out for a public hearing Monday morning concerning expansion of the county rubbish collection site in Farmington.
Six of the attendees made statements opposing the move.
The county is asking the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality to certify an additional 3.2 acres at the current collection site, which covers 11.8 acres.
When the rubbish site was due for permit renewal last year, county officials learned that the 3.2 acres had never been included in the site permit, though it has been used for rubbish disposal in previous years.
County engineer Ricky Newcomb said acquiring the permit would bring the entire property in compliance with MDEQ regulations. However, since the area has been used for rubbish collection already, the additional acreage would only extend usage at that location by four to six months.
Dr. Elbert White and Lena Bickerstaff Meeks, both neighbors of the current rubbish site, asked the Board of Supervisors to close the current site rather than expand it.
White said his main concern is runoff into Brice Creek, which separates his property from the rubbish site. Meeks told how closely dirt work at the site is coming to her property line, and said she has concerns for the safety of her grandchildren, as well as worries about sanitation, rodents and other pests.
Several Wenasoga residents said they could foresee the same concerns of Farmington residents being transferred to their community with such a relocation.
Lisha Hopper, Lowell Hinton, Greg Hinton and Rodney Hopper renewed their requests that the supervisors consider alternatives to creating a new rubbish site within the county.
They contend that the money the county would spend opening and operating a rubbish collection site could be better used sending the rubbish to another county that already handles multi-county collections.
Contact Lena Mitchell at (662) 287-9822 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lena Mitchell/NEMS Daily Journal