Pardoned Calhoun County man accused in shooting released from hospital

By JB Clark/NEMS Daily Journal

CALHOUN CITY – The Calhoun County man involved in a Jan. 10 fatal shooting has been released from the hospital and waits to see if charges will be filed against him.
Information is sketchy about what may have led to Chris McGonagill’s shooting at a cookout, but Wayne Therman Harris remains a suspect.
Harris was shot once in the leg and McGonagill was shot six times, according to Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan.
Harris was hospitalized and McGonagill died the next day at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford.
The incident gained widespread notice because on Jan. 10, 2012, then-Gov. Haley Barbour, on his way out of office, pardoned Harris of a conviction for the sale of marijuana.
Harris had already served his sentence, but the pardon erased his conviction. Without the pardon, his possession of a firearm would have been a felony offense.
Pollan said he is waiting for District Attorney Ben Creekmore to decide what charges to place against the suspect. The case is slated to go before a grand jury April 2.
Pollan said the shooting occurred just off Highway 9 south of Calhoun City.

jb.clark@journalinc.com