Parvin trial delayed in Monroe County

djournal_Court-NewsBy Patsy R. Brumfield

Daily Journal

Dr. David Parvin will not go on trial Nov. 12 for a second time in the 2007 shooting death of his wife, Joyce.

Judge Paul Funderburk indefinitely delayed the trial Monday after denying a state motion to block the introduction of new evidence about his shotgun.

Parvin, a 76-year-old retired economics professor, was found guilty of murder in 2011 by a Monroe County jury and sentenced to life in prison.

But a 2013 Mississippi Supreme Court decision freed him, vacated his conviction and ordered a new trial.

Parvin claims his wife’s death was an accident in their Monroe County home.

He remains in the Monroe County Jail without bond, deemed a threat to himself and others after he became unruly when he wasn’t immediately released after he was transported back to Aberdeen from prison in Meridian a few months ago.

Funderburk granted the delayon Monday after considering the state’s motion to exclude certain new evidence or put off the trial’s start.

District Attorney Trent Kelly, on hearing the news, said it is only right that his office have time to analyze new evidence to prepare for trial, which he speculated will occur in February.

Last week, Parvin’s defense team – led by Tupelo attorney Jim Waide – filed a motion for a new analysis of the gunshot, which fired the fatal shot.

In his previous trial, the defense insisted that Parvin was armed with a loaded gun to go outside and shoot beavers.

He also said the gun accidentally discharged and shot his wife when he tripped inside the house.

patsy.brumfield@journalinc.com