Patsy Brumfield 5/27/09
QUOTES ABOUT ROBERT KHAYAT/OLE MISS CHANCELLORSHIP:
* “Robert Khayat was the agent who transformed the University of Mississippi.” – Dr. David Sansing, Ole Miss historian.
* “My entire life seems to have prepared me for this job, at this time, in this place.” – Robert C. Khayat, when he interviewed for the chancellor’s job.
* “He was the only one who believed we could, and he went after it and achieved it.” – Warner Alford, former Alumni Affairs executive director and former Khayat teammate, about Khayat’s pursuit of a Phi Beta Kappa chapter.
* “As long as I’ve known him, when he set his mind to achieving something, he did it.” – Warner Alford, former Alumni Affairs executive director and former Khayat teammate.
* “He is able to make people believe in themselves. He inspires people to be better than they thought they could be.” – Warner Alford, former Alumni Affairs executive director and former Khayat teammate.
* “That was one of his passions – to change the character of the student body by getting more Mississippians. We wanted to recruit more kids” from the public schools. – Dr. Andy Mullins, executive assistant to the chancellor.
* “I was a bit nervous about walking my dog before daylight because we got threats, and some people said lots of nasty things.” – the late Herb Dewees, then Alumni Affairs executive director, about reactions to disassociating with the Rebel flag.
* “We were able to disagree in a strong emotional way and yet come back together for love of the institution.” – the late Herb Dewees, then Alumni Affairs executive director, about reactions to disassociating with the Rebel flag.
* “Probably his greatest achievement is his trust-building ability and leadership to get people to believe that diversity issues are ones we can work with, issues we can put on the table, issues we can work through.” – Dr. Donald Cole, assistant provost/assistant to the chancellor for multicultural affairs.
* “I wanted to get our people to believe they had value, this university had value and they could help this university become great, but it required everybody to do it.” – Robert Khayat about his approach to changing the university’s culture of mediocrity.
* “I think he is a rare chancellor. He could be good anywhere, but he’s perfect for Ole Miss.” – Pete Boone, Ole Miss athletics director.
* “He took the human component around him and made us a team, and he got the best out of us. That’s an incredible leadership talent.” – Dr. Carolyn Staton, former Ole Miss provost.
* “In the university’s 160-year history, no one has done more to enhance its luster.” – Jim Barksdale, alumnus and longtime Ole Miss supporter.
* “Robert Khayat was meant to be Ole Miss chancellor, and his charismatic leadership will impact the lives of many students for years to come.” – John Grisham, famed author and Ole Miss Law alumnus.
* “His increased expectations have lifted every part of the university, and that has led to greater expectations throughout our state.” – Dr. Dan Jones, UM Medical Center vice chancellor for health affairs and incoming chancellor.
* “He listened and made us feel our input was important. He was a mentor and a friend.” – Rose Jackson Flenorl, first African-American to be Alumni Association president.
* “There are rare occasions in the lives of an individual and an institution when the destinies of both come together to offer the promise of greatness, but Robert Khayat’s tenure as chancellor of the University of Mississippi is one of those occasions.” – Aubrey Patterson, CEO of BancorpSouth.