CATEGORY: Monroe County



By Eileen Bailey

Daily Journal

ABERDEEN – The road to rebuilding a historic Aberdeen building destroyed last week by fire began Tuesday.

Glenn Houston, director of the Aberdeen Main Street program, which owns the Sirles Building that burned Feb. 14, said the group’s Board of Directors had a special meeting Tuesday and agreed to begin the rebuilding process.

The first order of business, she said, was to start taking bids for cleanup. Houston said the board also has started the search for a contractor for additional renovation and reconstruction work on the building.

The building’s insurance is adequate to cover the work that needs to be done, Houston said. One of the main concerns for the board is the restoration of the facade of the building. “We would like to save as much of the original facade as we can,” she said.

The board will meet again March 7 to discuss its options for rebuilding the structure, located on Commerce Street in downtown Aberdeen.

A small hole in a flexible gas line behind a grill in Becka’s Burger Shack, one of the businesses in the building, caused the fire, said Aberdeen Fire Chief Herbert Rieves.

The fire was reported about 8:50 a.m. and smoldered throughout the day. It destroyed the restaurant, a vacant office and a barber shop that were in the almost 126-year-old building.

Click video to hear audio