– Looking back: The week started with an early deficit at Arkansas State but ended with a bang. The Rebels rallied to win 11-9 at Jonesboro.
Then, after losing the series opener to No. 2 South Carolina in Oxford, Ole Miss claimed Saturday’s game 10-2 and won the series on Sunday with a 7-6 victory on freshman Preston Overbey’s sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth.
Relief pitcher Jake Morgan threw 21/3 scoreless innings for the win on Sunday. Miles Hamblin, named the SEC player of the week, had a grand slam at Arkansas State and was 5 for 9 with a home run and three RBIs against South Carolina.
– Looking ahead: It’s exam week, and the Rebels are off until Thursday when the begin a a three-game SEC series against rival Mississippi State.
– Who’s hot: Alex Yarbrough was also a hero of the weekend, going 6 for 11 with a home run and five RBIs.
– Who’s not: Overbey was 0 for 5 on the weekend before the sacrifice fly in Sunday’s final at-bat.
– RPI watch: The Rebels have a simulated RPI ranking of 36.
– Bottom line: Saturday and Sunday wins against one of the elite teams in the nation pumped life and confidence back into a team that had lost six of its previous seven SEC games.
There was reason for the Rebels to feel good about themselves today, but winning the South Carolina series guaranteed nothing except a continued opportunity.
With six games remaining the Rebels will put themselves in good position to earn SEC and NCAA tournament berths if they have a winning weekend against rival MSU.
Parrish Alford/NEMS Daily Journal