OXFORD – Another big game for Guy Billups led to another Oxford win.
The Chargers are 2-0 after beating Charleston 24-14 on Friday night. Billups, a senior and third-year starter at quarterback, was 13 of 22 for 223 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.
Last week, Billups threw three TD passes in the first quarter of a 41-12 win over Ray Brooks.
Lamont Dean got the scoring started for Oxford, running it in from 5 yards out for a 7-0 lead in the first quarter. Charleston (1-1) tied it on Antwan Wilson’s 70-yard strike to Kameron Myers, but Billups answered with a 12-yard TD toss to Deshaun McNeal.
Oxford led 17-14 at halftime, and the only second-half scoring was Billups’ 81-yard scoring pass to Stan Ivy with 4 minutes, 29 seconds left in the game.
– Lafayette 35, Memphis Trezevant 16: The Daily Journal’s No. 2-ranked large school improved to 2-0 on the strength of a 28-point second quarter.
Quarterback Jeremy Liggins threw TD passes of 48 and 17 yards and ran in a 4-yard score in the decisive period. Trezevant didn’t score until the fourth quarter.
– Pontotoc 40, South Pontotoc 0: The Warriors (2-0) made short work of their cross-county rivals, staking a 26-0 lead by halftime and piling up 453 yards of offense by game’s end.
Quarterback Marcus Reed was 14 of 30 for 135 yards and a touchdown, and he also ran for a score. Randall Crayton rushed for 104 yards and got Pontotoc on the board in the first quarter with a 34-yard scoring scamper.
South Pontotoc fell to 0-2.
– Tupelo Christian 41, Wheeler 0: Quarterback Will Cockrell passed for two touchdowns and ran for another as the homestanding Eagles (1-1) earned their first win of 2010.
Cockrell, a senior, was 4 of 9 passing for 88 yards. Tailback Dallas Finley rushed for 127 yards on nine carries and had TD runs of 21 and 76 yards.
Jager Livingston scored twice, on a 42-yard reception and then, a few minutes later, a 56-yard punt return to give TCPS 20-0 edge.
– Kossuth 31, Adamsville, Tenn. 22: Jay Vanderford accounted for three touchdowns as Kossuth moved to 1-1.
Vanderford had scoring runs of 5 and 2 yards and threw a 16-yard TD pass to Heath Wood. The Wood score gave the Aggies a 20-13 lead.
Adamsville got within 25-22, but Vanderford put it away with his 2-yard touchdown run.
– Byhalia 28, Okolona 22: The Chieftains (1-1) suffered their first loss of the season at home.
Okolona, the Journal’s No. 4 small school, held an early 10-8 lead. It was tied at 16-16 in the second quarter before a Byhalia (2-0) touchdown gave the visitors a 22-16 halftime lead that they would not relinquish.
– Senatobia 13, Corinth 6: Quintavius Burdette burned Corinth (0-1) with two big plays. He returned the opening kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown, and after the Warriors tied it on a pair of Jordan Parker field goals, Burdette broke off an 80-yard scoring run in the third quarter for the final tally.
Senatobia moved to 1-1.
– Biggersville 21, Middleton, Tenn. 13: The Lions crossed the state line and returned with their second win of the season. They took a 13-0 lead in the first quarter and held off Middleton.
Scoring information was not made available.
NEMS Daily Journal