By NEMS Daily Journal
Tupelo Christian (2-1) rallied with a pair of touchdowns in the fourth quarter to pull out a 31-30 win and deny host H.W. Byers (0-3) its first win as a varsity squad Friday night.
Will Cockrell found Zachary Tybor for a 20-yard touchdown to draw the Eagles within 30-25, and running back Ron Lavigne scored the game winner on a 1-yard run with 2:19 left in the game.
Dason Maloney had 12 tackles for TCPS and sacked the Byers quarterback on the game’s final play.
- Belmont 28, Tishomingo Co. 0: Running back Dustin Poole’s 136 yards and two touchdown runs keyed the Cardinals’ romp over their cross-country rival. The senior opened the scoring with a 65-yard jaunt in the first quarter, and he added a 5-yard TD in the third.
Belmont improved to 2-0, while Tishomingo County fell to 1-2.
- Calhoun City 10, Water Valley 7: J.R. Jennings’ 32-yard scoring pass to Demarius Howard in the third quarter lifted Calhoun City (3-0) to a home win. Water Valley (2-1) held a 7-3 halftime lead on the strength of Kenon Kirkwood’s first-quarter TD run from 22 yards out.
- Okolona 34, Houston 32: Jordan Ivy threw for two touchdowns and ran for another to lead the Chieftains (2-1) past their Chickasaw County rivals.
Ivy hit Antwon Grady for scoring strikes of 10 and 49 yards in the first half. In the third quarter, Ivy’s 72-yard TD run gave Okolona a 28-13 lead.
Houston (0-3) answered with two touchdowns to draw within 28-26, and it had a chance to tie in the fourth quarter but failed on a two-point conversion try.
- South Pontotoc 44, Houlka 6: The Cougars (1-2) scored early and often, and most of it was accounted for by quarterback Wesley Barefield.
The senior ran for three touchdowns and passed for another as South Pontotoc built a 37-6 halftime lead. Houlka is 0-3.
n Center Hill 26, Booneville 14: Booneville (1-2) couldn’t get much going offensively, being held scoreless in the second half of a home loss.
Center Hill (2-1) got a pair of 1-yard TD runs from Richard Hampton. For Booneville, Clint Hawkins had a pair of touchdown passes.
- Walnut 34, Alcorn Central 0: The Wildcats (3-0) remained unbeaten thanks to another big outing by senior Shaquille Perry. He carried the ball 10 times for 221 yards and scored three touchdowns on runs of 62, 62 and 13 yards. Walnut scored all its points in the first half.
Alcorn Central fell to 0-3.
- Byhalia 32, Holly Springs 0: Byhalia moved to 3-0, while Holly Springs dropped to 1-1. No scoring information was provided.