School gym in Winona damaged in fire

By The Associated Press

WINONA — Authorities are investigating a fire that damaged the gym at Winona Christian School.

WTVA TV reports Monday’s fire has caused school officials to cancel classes Tuesday.

Headmaster Cameron Wright says a handful of children were in the gym when the fire started. He says they got out safely.

Wright says the fire burned the roof, walls and floor of the gym and left behind smoke damage to the bleachers and stage.

He says the fire may have been caused by an electrical problem in a wall.

Classes are expected to resume Wednesday.

Click video to hear audio