SHANNON – A Shannon couple are in a Greenville hospital in cri

SHANNON – A Shannon couple are in a Greenville hospital in critical condition after being burned in an apartment fire early Thursday.

Early King Jr., 37, and his wife, Margaret King, age unavailable, were in the Firefighters Memorial Burn Center in Delta Regional Medical Center.

Margaret King’s 9-year-old daughter was also burned in the incident. She was taken to the North Mississippi Medical Center. She was listed in stable condition Thursday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The extent of their burns was not available.

The fire was reported about 1:45 a.m. Thursday in the King’s downstairs apartment at Shannon Rental’s Apartment Complex, just off state Highway 145. It took firefighters from Shannon and Verona about 15 minutes to get the blaze under control, said Shannon Fire Chief David Homan.

There are eight apartments at Shannon Rental, Homam said. Two of the apartments were badly damaged by the fire. The other six received some smoke damage.

Officials are investigating whether the fire started with the wife allegedly pouring gasoline on her husband, Lee County Chief Deputy Steve Brooks said. The fire originated in a bedroom.

State and county arson investigators are still investigating the incident.

Cynthia M. Jeffries

Click video to hear audio