By Internal Revenue Service

Q: I can’t find my Medicare card and I need a replacement. Do I need to come into the office?
A: You can get your Medicare card replaced without leaving your home. Just go to http://www.socialsecurity .gov/medicarecard/ and get your new Medicare card sent to your home. Simply fill out the requested information and you’ll get your new Medicare card within 30 days; it will be mailed to your address on record. If you need temporary proof of Medicare coverage, call us at (800) 772-1213 to request a letter and you will receive it in the mail within seven to 10 days. If you need immediate proof of your Medicare coverage, please visit your local Social Security office.

Q: How do I change my citizenship status on Social Security’s records?
A: To change your citizenship status shown in Social Security records:
Complete an application for a Social Security card (Form SS-5), which you can find online at; and locate documents proving your:
• New or revised citizenship status (Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents).
• Age.
• Identity.
Then, take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office or card center.
All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.
This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration.

Click video to hear audio